The story of Badshahi Mosque
The Badshahi Mosque was built in 1673 by Aurangzeb Alamgir in Lahore. This magnificent mosque is a great example of the Mughal era and has become the hallmark of Lahore city. This Faisal Mosque is the second largest mosque in Pakistan after Islamabad, in which 60,000 people can pray at a time. The style of construction of this mosque is very similar to that of Jamia Masjid Delhi which was built by Aurangzeb’s father Shah Jahan in 1648.
Aurangzeb, the sixth Mughal king of India, was the most religious king of all the Mughals. He built the mosque under the supervision of his half-brother Muzaffar Hussain, also known as Fida Khan Koka. It took two years from 1671 to 1673 to build the mosque. The mosque was built opposite the royal fort, which shows its importance during the Mughal period. Along with the construction of this mosque, Aurangzeb also added a dignified gate to the royal fort opposite its gate, which is called the universal gate.
As time went on, the mosque was damaged for various reasons. Repairs began in 1850, but the repairs were incomplete. Finally complete renovation started in 1939 and was completed in 1960 at a cost of Rs. 48 lakhs. Due to this repair, the mosque was restored to its original condition.
Special Events: –
On the occasion of the Second Islamic Summit Conference, which was held in Lahore on February 22, 1974, 39 heads of state were fortunate enough to offer Friday prayers in this mosque.